Who Can Register to Vote
In order to register to vote in Erie County you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Be an Erie County resident;
- Be 18 years of age or older on the date of the election (PRE-REGISTRATION: You may submit a voter registration form during the calendar year in which you will turn 18 years of age for the purpose of pre-registering to vote. You will be eligible to vote upon attaining the age of 18 years.);
- Not have been convicted of a felony pursuant to the laws of New York State without your civil rights having been restored, your maximun sentence of imprisonment having expired, or having been discharged from parole; and
- Provide your current valid New York State driver license number or identification card number. You must provide the last four digits of your Social Security number if you do not have a New York driver license number or identification card number. NOTE: If you do not have a New York State driver license number, identification card number or Social Security number, check the box indicated on the voter registration form which states “I do not have a New York DMV number or a Social Security number.”
How to Register to Vote
- You may print a blank form or fill out the form online. However, you must print the application, sign in ink and mail completed form to Erie County Board of Elections.
- Verify that all the information on your application is complete. Your Social Security number, New York driver license number or ID card number will remain confidential and will be used only for voter registration purposes.
- The application requires an original signature because you are swearing to or affirming an oath.
- Mail your voter registration form to the Erie County Board of Elections. A first class postage stamp is required. Alternatively, you may hand-deliver the application to any election or Department of Motor Vehicle office in the state.
- Once your application has been processed, the Erie County Board of Elections will mail you a voter identification card as your official notification that you are registered to vote. Make sure all of the information on your card is correct. If you have not received a voter identification card within a reasonable period of time, or if you should have any questions regarding your registration, please contact the Erie County Board of Elections.
NOTE: You must be registered for at least 25 days before you can vote in an election.
Click to Register by Mail with the Voter Registration Form